Sad to say, I didn't make this for dd, but she is a wonderful helper, and will be getting her very own soon. This was my first quilt, first free motion quilting, first quilt binding... you get the idea. I participated in a doll quilt swap, so this is going off to my partner in sewing, shortly.
I tried to incorporate the following things based on her answers to some of the swap questions... including, flowers/roses, green (for grass), white (for freshness), children playing... and some little secret hidden things - there is an apron hanging on a line in the yellow roses, her dd's name is free motioned in the bottom corner, kind of on a slant, and a heart above that...
The children playing is from my grandma's stash. I basted it with another piece of cotton because it was kind of thin. Hope I did that right.
I actually felt like the binding took the most time... but maybe it was because I was trying to get done.. Oh yeah, and cutting those stinking roses with my giant ruler... LOL.
All in all, this was a fun project, and I hope she likes it. If you want to see other pics of it, you can check my flickr.
References I used: Sew Mama Sew doll quilt sew-along, Vicki's binding tut, and some free motion reference from Crazy mom.
Friday, February 27, 2009
Look Mom!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Very cute quilt. I am sure one day I will attempt to do something like that, but for now I have enough to do.
Mel, I use a Bernina Artista 630 that I bought last year. Before that I had a Janome 10000, and before that I had a Brother 8500. All of them did great embroidery. I always find the best source of info is on patternreview.com. They go in depth on various machines.
Those embroidery designs come in various sizes (usually 4x4) which can be used on most of the machines. If you want more info you can email me at mccloskeyjl@mchsi.com. I will be glad to help.
The quilt is beautiful. I wish you could keep it for yourself or your daughter since it's a "first" and because it's sooooo pretty. I know your swap partner will love, love, love it!
For me, my favorite part of making a quilt is sewing down the binding. Funny, huh? I enjoy making the quilt, hate the actual quilting process, but totally enjoy sewing the binding.
Good job!
congrats on that beautiful quilt! how fun! it looks really beautiful, you must be so proud! i bet your daughter can't wait for hers (if she's anything like my kids)... Me, I've been working on the same quilt for my 2 year old for at least 6 months. I get sidetracked way too easily, I guess!
Post a Comment