Sunday, April 26, 2009

Spring flowers


20090424_17.JPG, originally uploaded by twolilacs.

There is a small collection of blooms happening now in the yard, these sky-blue, forget-me-not flowers on varigated bugloss are one. The flowers themselves are teeny tiny, and usually the plant is loaded with them for a little while.
There are also lots of daffodils and spring beauties about. I noticed today that the one or two spring beauties I planted behind my hostas have spread in a huge mass around the tree base. I'll take a pic tomorrow if there's no rain. My goal is to have my front yard loaded with little white flowers, just like grandma's house.
I have a lot of work to do in the garden this year, mainly tidying up and dividing. It will be hard to buy stuff for the yard with my new passion (fabric). LOL! I just got the new kids issue of Ottobre, and there is quite a bit of cute, practical clothing in there. I went to the kids resale Saturday and did not find much for ds, so it looks like I need to make a list of things I can sew for him. I ordered some Michael Miller bot camp for him, so that should be fun. I have such a laundry list of things I'd like to make, but I really overwhelm myself with grand ideas. I am sticking to sewing though. I forget when I started last year, but I'd say it's been about a year since I committed myself to treating sewing as more than a hobby. I'd like it to be a lifelong thing, and something that maybe my two will enjoy themselves. DS has learned that my machine is not a race car, and finds great pleasure making colorful, decorative or zig zag stitches.
I did use my embroidery machine for a real project last night, too. I put a small sanrio kitty cat head onto a sundress I got dd at the kids resale. it didn't come out perfect to my standards, but it still looks pretty good. I thought she'd choose the bunny, but she picked the cat. I'm trying to accommodate her with fun characters and patterns in her clothing, she's pretty choosy at 2 1/2.

No comments: