Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Weekend sewing gift


HR-WkndSwng_20090612_003.JPG, originally uploaded by twolilacs.

Here is a tiny little baby shirt I made with Heather Ross' kimono pattern. It came out pretty cute. Our cousin is having a baby in August, and they will find out then if they have a boy or a girl. I was going to make a changing table cover, but decided to make this top, and some burp cloths. I use a little bit of a couple fabrics and it was a lot of fun.
I thought the Hungry caterpillar fabric would be cute since they were asking everyone to bring a book for the baby. Of course, I didn't buy that book, but she did receive it from someone else. Anyways, I only had a fat quarter of that fabric, so I used white for the sleeves and back. I think this was a good choice, so that it didn't end up being to busy of a design. I cut the red dot fabric on the bias, and made 1/4" bias tape. Oh boy, that's much smaller when you're actually making it. I'm really surprised that the dots came out straight.
I have really liked some of the sewing books that have been coming out, Anna Maria's, Heather's, Amy Butler's, Lotta Jansdotter... and I think there's a few more. I have a hard time returning them to the library... and only checking them out once. I have resolved to buy a few now and then, so I will always have them to peruse.

Other than that sewing, I haven't been doing much. I stitched a little bit of fabric to a pair of plain training pants for dd, and put away some of her new and old things tonight. Apparently she welcomes change (and clothes)... when I put her to bed, she had gone in there before me, and changed out of pajamas into the "new" training pants and her new Little einsteins shirt.

The kids had a big day today, but I didn't think to take the camera. We started summer gymnastics today, both in classes at the same time to save on driving. He starts at 9, she starts at 9:15. She didn't like sitting while the first class got on its way, and that she wouldn't get a turn. It took a few minutes of aerobics on my part to keep her on my lap. Poor thing. She ready to run when it was her turn though. As expected, she did great on the trampoline.
Then this afternoon our library hosted a traveling reptile show. The man was very kid friendly and entertaining, and he included them during his show. My son was volunteering almost every time help was requested, but he didn't get picked. He did get to pet an iguana, a tortoise, an albino boa constrictor (named Chiquita) and a mid size alligator. My daughter was a brave little girl, she sat in the front row with the boys (my son and our neighbors) while the guy walked around with the iguana. However, as soon as he laid the iguana on his table, several feet away, she didn't like that. So, she spent the rest of her time on my lap or in front of me. She did ask to pet the tortoise and the boa constrictor though, and did willingly when taken.
I'd say overall they had a great time, and were very patient sitting and hour and a half through the show.

2 comments:

mermaids said...

had you used the caterpillar fabric all over, it would have been a bit much. limiting it to one front panel gives it more of a "designer" feel. adorable. i <3 anything eric carle

Little C and Little J said...

I saw this on flickr and loved it, such a good idea. And, I agree, it works best as a little highlight.