Friday, July 03, 2009

Training pants for dd


Otto4-04-girlsundies_21.JPG, originally uploaded by twolilacs.

I did my best to hack an Ottobre pattern for little girls undies into a pair of training pants for dd. It's from 4/04, pattern #34, size 86. Despite some of the sewing flaws, I think they came out pretty useable for now. Love the fabrics. The stretchy pink was a small challenge, but I kept at it, and adjusted my foot pressure to be looser or tighter as needed.
If anyone would be interested in my hack, I'd be happy to put together a quick pdf. And clicking on the photo will take you to the rest of the images.
It took me about two nights (tv sidetracked), and a few 15 minutes here and there to trace and redraw the pattern, cut the fabrics, hem and haw about doing the binding, sitting down and sewing like a speed demon so I didn't lose momentum.... until I ran out of bobbin thread in one of the legs.... no worries though, I had a spare bobbin of a close enough color. They are only undies.
For some reason, my darling daughter refused to participate in any fittings... so I finally wrangled her into them before I bound the waist. The fit is snug getting on, but wearable... next time, I should use a bias cut, or more stretchy fabric as the padding. I am wondering how warm & natural or maybe some bamboo (fleece?) would be. As far as adding stretch elsewhere, I might add a bit more fabric across the width of the hip piece.
I am hoping that the training will be short, and she'll be going on the potty sooner vs. later. She really is pretty good about it, just needs consistency from me. I have not pushed her, but she's probably been ready for training for a couple months. I didn't really want to do it in the winter time, and now that it's summer, I'll be seizing the moment.
I really miss my baby though...

No comments: